Thursday, May 3, 2018

April: Sustain

Connection:
For Spring Break my youngest son and I took a trip to Philadelphia and New York City. Not only did we get to connect with each other, but I met up with an old friend from Middle School and we spent more time together than we had in over 20 years!


I started Prime Time Family Reading Time at the Detroit Public Library. I've always loved this program, how it brings families together with books. And in putting my own little twist on it, I love to come up with a dessert to match the books each week.
I went with a friend and her family to see Meadowbrook Hall, a gorgeous 1920's house on the grounds of Oakland University. And also went out with another friend to see Wayne State's theatre production of Sister Act.

And in case that's not enough connection - I did make it to my sorority's alumnae dinner and then went out afterwards with the only other sister who made it who wasn't in her 20's :)

Family:
My younger son and I connected on our Spring Break trip!


I realized last month that my older son and I did not get a chance to do anything on our own, so I purposefully made a date to go out with him for dinner. We had to switch days because of rowing practices and he seemed anxious that we still have time together. Although our dinner wasn't the greatest (Chipotle was out of lettuce!) we did spend good time together and he talked me into taking him shopping for summer clothes.


My husband and I even got in a date night to go out to dinner! And one night snuck out for frozen custard without the kids.

Faith: I read Galations, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and  1 & 2 Thessalonians.

Health: With a week long vacation at the beginning of the month and being sick at the end of the month, I'm pretty happy that I got in 26 hours of exercise and 4 days of walking around big cities! I didn't get in weights as much as I wanted - but I'll tackle that again next month!

Intellect: Books I read this month
Confessions of a Domestic Failure by Bunmi Laditan. This was a fun read as we follow Ashley through her attempts to become a better parent. It is also raw and true as to all the feelings she goes through on a daily basis. 

Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella. This was a re-read for me and a first time for the kids.

14 year old Audrey describes her wacky family and how they are all trying to cope, and help her cope, with a bullying event that led to her eventual breakdown and detachment from society. Through the help of a therapist and a new friend, Audrey comes to terms with the ups and downs life brings everyone and how we can all help each other out. Kinsella does a perfect job of describing the families foibles while also endearing each character to the reader. While I enjoyed this book as an adult, this would be perfect for middle-school aged kids, especially as a conversation starter regarding the tough topics Finding Audrey handles. 






No comments:

Post a Comment