Monday, May 14, 2018

Detroit Books & Cookies

It's been a while since I've posted about Prime Time Family Reading Time, but I just finished a session with the Detroit Public Library. Below you will find the books we read each week and the snacks to go along with them that I made.

The first week we read The Lion and the Mouse and The Jungle Grapevine. I have to admit that after a busy week I didn't make a snack for these books.

However, the next week I was ready! In addition to Peppe the Lamplighter, we read Tar Beach. In the book, the young girl and her brother take a blanket up to their roof and pretend they are at "Tar Beach" so I made a beach blanket sheet cookie. Click for the recipe for sugar cookie bars and frosting.

The third week brought us Click, Clack, Moo and The Bremen-Town Musicians. In honor of the plethora of animals featured, I made haystack cookies which were very well received!  Recipe here.

King Bidgood's in the Bathtub was paired with Horton Hears a Who. I was really excited to make these Bears-In-A-Bubblebath brownies and they were super yummy! I may make these again just for fun since they were so cute!  Recipe here.

In week 5 we read A Chair for My Mother and Fish is Fish. The goldfish snacks were so easy and surprisingly tasty - but how could I have doubted chocolate and salty pretzels? Recipe here.

The last week was a challenge with the Ox-Cart Man and The Great Kapok Tree. Since the Ox-Cart Man brings peppermints home to his family after a trip to sell their homemade goods, I picked a recipe for peppermint shortbread.




No comments:

Post a Comment